Since being elected, the Harper government has targeted the labor movement. According to Harper, a strong economy is built with low paying jobs and by leaving workers at the mercy of their employers. Just remember:
- The changes brought to EI, which drastically limited access to benefits.
- The reform program for temporary migrant workers, which limited the duration of their permit to 4 years.
- Bill C-377 which requires unions to publicly disclose the use of their funds.
- Bill C-525 which seeks to restrict the right of workers to organize themselves and to have a union.
- The loss of 400,000 jobs in the manufacturing sector.
Not to mention the Canadian Pacific labor dispute last winter that went to the brink of a special law to force employees to return to work. The Conservatives have a bad tendency of silencing workers by limiting their rights to strike and to organize themselves.
Attacks against workers must stop!
The Conservative Government must cease its attacks. Join Alexandre Boulerice, official spokesperson on labor, in his efforts to defend the right to choose freely and without repercussions to join a union.
We must oppose any attempts to modify, unilaterally and without prior consultation, the Canadian Labour Code and to decrease living and working conditions.
It is essential that all citizens receive adequate support during a job loss.